We've wrapped up all the showers, bachelor + bachelorette parties, rehearsals and the big day and the Benyo's are finally settled into reality back home in Denver, Colorado. In between getting the thank-you's completed and trying to fit all these shiny, new presents into our storage-less kitchen, I realized it was about time I got down to business on this blog. Although our honeymoon tans have faded, we've been settling nicely into married life. I feel beyond grateful to have been able to marry my best friend, to have had the unwavering support of our families when my crazy-levels were reaching an all-time high, and above all to have been given the wedding our of dreams. We're feeling pretty darn blessed.
To kickoff the wedding festivities my family threw a 4th of July party for the bridal party and many of our out-of-town guests. The party was held at Arlington Racetrack in my hometown of Arlington Heights, IL. We rented out the Miller Lite Party Deck which had a private room with snacks, our own bartender, betting machines, and fabulous views of the park. The highlight of the day was my Dad surprising Nick and I with naming the 5th race in our honor - the name? Boots & Bacon! We got to go down and present the winning jockey with the trophy and a picture of Nick and I flashed on the big screen for the entire track to see! It was a moment Nick and I will never forget! Following the races Arlington Racetrack throws off fireworks - it was at least a 30 minute firework show and hands down the best I've EVER seen!
First order of business--marriage license. It's not really as romantic of an ordeal as you'd hope, but it was such an exciting moment for Nick + I. We're official!
Rehearsal day arrived and I met all my fabulous bridesmaids downtown for a blowout at Blow By Blow in Chicago before we met at St James Chapel for the rehearsal. We celebrated with some champagne and laughter as I tried to keep my nerves to a minimum.
Dad and I walking down the aisle at the rehearsal.
One of the highlights of our wedding day was that my Grandpa Shaw got to play the organ during the processional and my entrance. Here he is practicing at the rehearsal.
Future hubby + his Dad, his Best Man!
Nick's parents, Nick + Mary threw an incredibly beautiful and delicious rehearsal dinner at Carmine's on Rush. Nick and I had prepared a 'roast' of all our bridal party which had everyone in tears.
Wake up call on Saturday, July 6th came bright and early. The ladies all had a 7am start for hair and makeup. Getting through 10 bridesmaids, two mothers and a bride is no easy task! We popped on some Whitney Houston and popped open some Champs and I was thankful that all my girlfriends were keeping me calm and laughing. Kate, my sister and Matron of Honor surprised me with a framed poem, a poem we've always related to as sisters, by E.E. Cummings:
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)
i want no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
i want no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
After she gave me this frame she showed me two gold heart pins, one that she was going to wear inside her dress, and one for me to wear inside my dress. It was the most thoughtful and sincere gift. Nick and I later exchanged presents - I gave him an engraved fly fishing reel that said 'HOOKED THE BIG FISH - 7.6.13' and he gave me a beautiful Tiffany's bracelet that I wore that day. One moment that really took my breath away was when Nick's mom and I were talking about my something old, new, blue, & borrowed. I told her that sadly, I didn't have a 'something old' and she reached for her purse and said that she thought she had something for me. She handed me a jewelry box and inside were emerald and diamond earrings - that her mother had given her on her wedding day. It was really so moving and gives me goosebumps just writing about it now. Below is a picture of me opening the stunning earrings. (Don't mind what's going on with Brittany in the background :))
The best girls a girl could ask for.
Kate, Mom & I - Love this :)
First look between my Dad and I. One of the most special moments of that day. This picture gets me every time I see it.
Walking and supporting me, like he always has.
St. James Chapel @ The Archbishop Quigley Center. The chapel was
inspired by Paris' Sainte Chapelle, it's absolutely breathtaking.
We're married!
Kate, Mom & I - Love this :)
First look between my Dad and I. One of the most special moments of that day. This picture gets me every time I see it.
Walking and supporting me, like he always has.
We're married!
Our beautiful reception @ The Knickerbocker. Selling point of this place? The lightup dance floor.
First dance.
Father Daughter Dace.
Our incredible cake designed by Mom!
Last photo of the night in the middle of Michigan Avenue. Perfection.
Looking forward to a lifetime of love, laughter, and good wine shared with my best friend and new husband!













No comments:
Post a Comment