Monday, October 10, 2011

Redemption

For those of you who don't know this story, I made an attempt to make Nick his favorite dinner of all time for our 1 year anniversary last December.  


Nick's favorite dinner = Beef Stroganoff.  


My version of Nick's favorite dinner = Beef Saltanoff.  


I'm not sure where my lack of common sense in the kitchen ever came to play - I might blame my mom for consistently putting amazing meals on our table and probably my (italian) roommate Lindsey who all throughout college kept me well fed.  Well, no one warned me that there was no Easy Bake Oven in the real world.  So story goes, Nick wanted Beef Strogaoff and I had www.foodnetwork.com.  I went online, saw my Grandma's favorite Paula Dean had her own version of the recipe so I thought 'this will do'.  I spent an hour and a half in the grocery store trying to collect all the ingredients, spent about an hour of that time on the phone with my Mom asking what in the world was 'Round Steak' and 'Bouillon Cubes'.  I'll make a long story short, this recipe called for a house seasoning on the meat.  I followed the recipe to a tee, season the meat, cook the beef, cook the noodles... things are looking - and smelling good.   


Nick and I sit down to eat dinner, he's probably more excited for this meal than he ever has been for Thanksgiving.  We both take a bite and I swear I thought I had just swallowed a mouthful of ocean salt-water.  The culprit?  The 'house seasoning'.  


Nowhere in the recipe did it mention that this 'house seasoning' is something you make and keep for months - so I figure, it all goes in.  There we are with 1 CUP of salt on our Beef Stroganoff.  Thanks Paula, and Happy Anniversary Nick!


Anyways, last night something got into me and I wanted to prove that over the past few months of living together my culinary skills had improved (And my mom had send me a new recipe that didn't call for a 'house seasoning') so I decided that I'd give it another go.  Needless to say, dinner was a huge success!  It was so good that Nick went for seconds - and even had it for lunch again today!  Maybe he'll keep me around for another year :) 


Here are some pics of the feast (the salt one is just a joke :))


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS